" The Lost Cathedral of Satevo" Said to have been built in the early 1600s; other sources give it the name "Iglesias San Miguel de Satevo" and claim it was built in the 1760s. Other names and dates appear elsewhere. Little seems to be known for sure about who built it and why and who worshipped there. Hence, its romantic name, "The Lost Cathedral." Efforts to restore this imposing, traditional church have been irregular and without sustained funding. The bullet holes from one "revolucion" or outlaw skirmish or another are visible beneath the newly whitewashed exterior The doors are tall and heavy, and they could use additional coats of varnish to protect against the alternating rains and sun. The interior walls once displayed colorful frescos, but now are faded and chipped. Very little is known about the Santo Angel Custodio de Satevo Mission because a fire destroyed its buildings and original parchment records in the late 1800s. Only the church, Iglesias San Miguel de Satevo, remains and is estimated to have been constructed between 1760 and 1764. Today, there are no Tarahumara living in the small community at Satevo but the size of the church and its location at the widest part of the Batopilas River indicate that it was once a fairly large Tarahumara community. Satevo is an easy 3.7 mile (6 km) ride from Batopilas along a dirt road that eventually comes to a bend where the glistening, whitewashed contours of the solitary church seem to materialize amidst the vastness of a wide, blue sky and the greenery of canyon walls interspersed with rocky outcroppings.